Friday, September 17, 2010

New Frig and Tornado

Photo: Lucas Jackson/Reuters
My refrigerator is getting replaced this weekend! The news came after I had given up any hope of living without an appliance that makes the sound of a mosquito (a giant mosquito that is).

Also, yesterday there was a tornado (the tornado label not verified by weather officials yet) in my neighborhood. And, well, I was oblivious. I got back to my apartment from class about 35 seconds before the rain started falling (~5:30pm). There had been thunder and lightening for a while. So, naturally, I just expected a thunderstorm. Then, about 4 minutes later came the sound of things being violently thrown at my back window. I investigated. Just branches most likely. The storm only lasted for 10-15 minutes in my area of Brooklyn.

Later that evening, I heard a chainsaw going. My first thought was: that's creepy. Just not a sound you would be expecting in a city. After it had been going for awhile, it finally dawned on me that they were probably cutting up some fallen branches. No biggy.


At 10:15pm, my future roommate called me. She left a worried sounding message because a friend told her to "call your landlord. There was a really big storm in Bed-Stuy that caused a lot of damage". Hmm, I let her know that just some branches were knocked down. Don't worry. At this point, I thought people were overreacting to a thunderstorm.

At 11:17pm, another friend texted me "is everything okay?" and told me that a tornado had touched down in parts of Brooklyn.

This morning as I walked to the grocery store, there were trees cut up on every block, lining the roads. There are a handful of stories/news reports online.

The New York Times & NY Daily News,

I feel like an idiot. Not that you can really prepare for things like that. You're going to be taken unawares. But I didn't even bother to see what was going on after the rain stopped. What if the tornado was actually on my block? Or some other emergency thing was happening?

"What ifs" aren't constructive; should I be reprimanding myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment